Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Hey, White Boy 2: White Boy Gets Scared

Last night Kags and I were walking around Osu (one of the more touristy parts of Accra) looking for a place to get dinner (after the power went out in our hostel yet again), when we saw a large group of dozens of young Ghanian men angrily yelling at what appeared to be the store front of a Western designer clothing store (e.g. Calvin Klein). The scared white man in me was worried they were about to storm inside the store, and the security guard watching from the street didn't help matters. I walked as far from the group as possible, worried that some anti-Western sentiment might be directed at little ol' me. It was while walking back by the group, that we saw what they were yelling about. Inside the store, was a television playing the satellite broadcast of the soccer game, and Ghanaians (much like most peoples of the world with the exception of my wife and in-laws) take their "foot ball" seriously.

No comments: